[LoR] Rules - Characters

Things about Feng Shui, Legends of Rogukan and other games to play with Falc...

Moderator: Falc

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

[LoR] Rules - Characters

Postby Falc » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Right, gonna start putting up the rules for character creation and all related stuff. I'm going to try and keep everything in one thread, but I expect some stuff will require a thread of its own. Any and all comments are welcome at any time.

Some warnings: I reserve the right to change anything I write here whenever I feel it's needed. I'm not sure how forum2mail handles edits, but I suspect that it won't resend every time I change something. So don't rely on whatever's in your inbox to be the latest, up-to-date version.
Last edited by Falc on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can’t protect you without holding a sword.
I can’t embrace you while holding a sword.
-- Kubo Tite, Bleach volume 5

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:26 pm

Character Traits

Y'all know what traits do, no? Every character has them, they start at 2. There's three sets of three Traits, bit different from L5R but that was sort of needed once I threw out the Rings.

Yes, I threw out the Rings. If you want the whole explanation on why, ask me in private.

Body Traits

Strength: Muscle power, in both your arms and your legs. Used to move stuff in various ways, mostly. It's also used when you want to run fast. Also, influences how much damage you do with your attacks.

Endurance: How long you can keep up an effort. Used to resist all sorts of things like poison, cold, dehydration, etc.

Agility: Control over the movements of your body. Balance, precision, stuff like that.

Mind Traits

Intelligence: How much you know, basically. Solvong problems through brain power is left to the players, otherwise it wouldn't be fun :D

Perception: How much you pay attention to your environment. It's not about just seeing things, it's about noticing (and interpreting) them.

Willpower: Mental equivalent to Endurance. Resists temptation, sleep, possession, etc.

Soul Traits

Spirit: How well you are connected to the supernatural. Makes it easier to understand and communicate with all the spirits.

Empathy: This trait governs pretty much all the social interaction bits. It reflects understanding of other people, how to talk to them, how to manipulate them and such.

Inspiration: Used for creative matters and for other flashes of insight, new ideas and things like that.

Last edited july 4th

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:56 am

Character Aspects

Aspects and choosing them

Aspects are used to represent the entire range of advantages and disadvantages of the old game, and then some. Putting a point value on every single element like that just results in people going over long lists, trying to come up with munchkin combos and all in all being too much rollplaying.

So, all of those elements are now wrapped into one simple package. You get 10 Aspects to build your character, both the good sides and the bad ones. You may take a single Aspect as many times as you feel is appropriate for your character. The amount of times you've taken an Aspect will be referred to as that Aspect's rank in the rest of this document.

Almost anything is allowed as an Aspect. Certain specific types will be given some more details below, but for the most part anything goes: physical traits, personality quirks, important bonds with other characters, catchphrases, etc.

What is specifically not allowed are Aspects that basically boil down to one of the 9 Traits or a Skill (Agile, Strong, Swordfighter, Stealthy, ...) since these character elements are already being tracked elsewhere. Aspects that are only about a part of a Trait or Skill are allowed however. Fast Runner, Hard Hitter and Can Lift An Ox would all be valid Aspects that focus on one part of Strength.

Every time you pick an Aspect during character creation, you get 4 Aspect points with which you may purchase Skills, Techniques and various other things which will be listed below.

For more information on Aspects beyond what you'll find here and a bunch of examples, go read Fate.

Last edited july 4th
Last edited by Falc on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:55 pm

Using Aspects

Draw a number of boxes next to every Aspect equal to its rank. Every time you use that Aspect, mark off a box. If all your boxes are marked, you can no longer use that Aspect.

Erasing those checkmarks happens when the GM says so. Typical examples would be at the start of every session or at the start of every adventure, but other possibilities exist. Don't be afraid to ask your GM if it seems he's forgotten about this.

Aspects can be used by the character that has them, which is called invoking the Aspect, or by any other character (including NPCs), which is called forcing the Aspect.

Aspects can be invoked in two different ways.

The first way is to invoke the Aspect after a dice roll. The player should explain how the Aspect provides his character with an advantage, check off a box and then:
- either reroll all the dice he rolled and use the new values,
- or turn any die he rolled into a non-exploding 10.
More than one Aspect box may be spent on a single roll.

The second way invokes the Aspect for some sort of story effect. A character that has taken another character as an aspect can make that character conveniently be in the area whenever he or she could be useful. (Note that this is quite different from roleplaying the character, since you're given a certain amount of control over things other than your character's actions) In this case, it is left to the GM's discretion whether this warrants checking off an Aspect box, depending on the impact on the story. Alternatively, the GM could rule that the character may not use his Aspect in the given situation, in which case this counts as forcing the Aspect (see below).

Aspects can be forced onto a character in two different ways.

The first way is if the GM denies a character the use of an Aspect that could be useful in the given situation, as stated before. For example, A character with Direction Sense getting lost anyway, or if a character has a catchphrase as Aspect but has been silenced in some way. In this case, the GM must pay the character a number of Karma points equal to the Aspect's rank.

The second way is when one character forces another character to act according to one of their aspects. A Brash person could be forced to stand up to a group of bullies that are too much for him to handle alone, or you could force a Curious character to go poke his nose into things he really should stay out of. Players should remember that they are allowed to try and force NPCs in this way, although the GM has final say whether the NPC actally has the Aspect in question.

In this case, the character whose actions are being forced is given a choice. If he accepts to be forced, then the character who forced him must pay him Karma points equal to his Aspect's rank. If he refuses to be forced, then he must pay the other character Karma points equal to his Aspect's rank.

For a slightly more tense resolution, it's possible to have a bidding war where each side bids Karma points to either force or resist the force. See page 20 of the Fate pdf for a good example.

Last edited july 5th
Last edited by Falc on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:01 pm

Specific Aspects

Family Aspects

Family Aspects represent two things. The amount of Family Aspects you have determines your family's Status, while the things you buy with the Aspect Points represents everything your family provides you with: education in certain fields, friends and foes of the family, heirlooms, etc. This means that Family Aspects follow certain guidelines that do not apply to other Aspects.

Since these Aspects describe your family, it stand to reason that all your family members have pretty much the same Aspects. For one, they will all have the same amount of Family Aspects, since your family's Status is of course the same for all members. Also, most of what your family tought and gave you, would also have been tought and given to other members.

For example, it would make little sense if your family had an enemy who was only interested in you. It wouldn't be a family enemy then, would it? However, it's also true that not every child in a household will be treated the same. Gender will already make a large difference. Thus, as a general guideline, at least half the Aspects Points you spend from any Family Aspect should be spent on things that you share with family members.

Also, if two or more players make characters from the same family, they all get one extra Aspect point per extra player. For example, three characters from the same family means they each get two extra Aspect points to spend. Divide these bonus Aspect points as evenly as possible over their family Aspects.

School Aspects

School Aspects represent your studies in a given field, be it swordsmanship, politics or religion. Bushi Schools exist in the form of dojo, where sensei teach their students a particular style or ryu, while courtiers learn their tricks by being apprenticed to a more experienced teacher. Either way, they are all modeled using School Aspects.

The amount of School Aspects you have determines your status in the school, ranking you on a relative scale of 1 to 10. 10 is reserved for the supreme master of the School; reaching this rank is only possible if the current master vacates the position somehow.

By purchasing more School Aspects, you gain the right to purchase higher rank Techniques from that School.

Code: Select all

Aspects   Technique rank
1         1
3         2
5         3
7         4
9         5

Last edited july 5th

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:04 pm

Spending Aspect points

Every time you take an Aspect, you get 4 Aspect points (or more in the case of Family Aspects) to spend on Traits, Skills, Techniques and various other character elements.

Note that whatever you purchase should be somehow related to the Aspect you took. It would be hard to justify learning Kenjutsu from a Handsome Aspect, but increasing your Empathy certainly fits.

Traits: increasing a Trait costs 4 Aspect points. Traits may not go higher than 4 during character creation.

Skills: increasing a Skill costs 1 Aspect point. Skills are limited in a different way, the pyramid. In order for you to have a Skill at 5, you must have at least one other Skill at 4, yet another Skill at 3, and so forth.

Techniques: each Technique costs 1 Aspect point to learn. Each Technique requires you to have a certain amount of School Aspects according to the Technique rank. I fully expect that each Technique will also have certain Skill requirements, but we'll see about that later.

Contacts: Contacts represent people you know, or that know you. The exact relation between you can be anything from friendship or love to hate, debts or blackmail. For each Aspect point you spend on a given Contact, you're allowed to give that character an Aspect of your choice.

Possessions: Possessions work the same way as Contacts, except that they represent material possessions instead of other characters. This can range from a special weapon to a property in the city.

Last edited july 5th
Last edited by Falc on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:06 pm

Karma points

placeholder

Last edited

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:15 pm

Character advancement

placeholder

Last edited

nyarlathotep
Lesser God
Lesser God

Postby nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:28 pm

was ik dus...

Falc
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate

Postby Falc » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:01 pm

Niet echt. Het is natuurlijk een mogelijke manier om je character uit te bouwen, maar de puur chronologische manier werkt niet echt, vooral niet met de Family Aspects. Toch niet voor zover ik op't eerste zicht kan zien.

Dat gezegd zijnde is het wel best om aspects een voor een af te handelen, dus Aspect kiezen, aspect points spenderen, volgend aspect, etc.

Return to “Falc's Roleplaying Thingamajig”